Jambalaya (Dutch Oven Over Open Fire)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 ½ lbs. Chicken (cubed)
- 1 lb. Andouille, Kielbasa, or other sausage (cubed)
- ½ lb. Medium Shrimp (peeled)
- 1 Medium Bell Pepper – Diced
- 1 Medium Onion – Diced
- 3 Stalks Celery – Diced
- 1 14½ oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 14½ oz. Can Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 14½ oz. Can Chicken Broth
- 1½ Cups Calrose Rice (washed and uncooked)
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- 1½ Tablespoon Creole or Cajun Seasoning
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Coarse Ground Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Melt butter in Dutch Oven then add chicken and fry until fully cooked. Add sausage and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add vegetables and continue to cook until they are soft.
Add tomatoes, broth, and seasoning. Stir well and bring to a boil then let simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Move Dutch Oven up further from the fire by 4-6 inches. Add rice and stir well. Simmer for 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes.
Add shrimp and simmer another 5-7 minutes then you are done.
Submitted by Tim-W7DZ